As emocionantes aventuras de um sysadmin linux na procura pelo uptime perfeito!

Turbogears, Mysql and UTF. Advice Needed!

Posted: novembro 16th, 2006 | Author: coredump | Filed under: Programação | Tags: , ,

So, I have this little problem…

  • For design reasons, I must use SQLObject. SQLAlchemy is cool but managing all my relations ‘by hand’ is a very time consuming task and TurboGears implementation of ActiveMapper is unstable, at best.
  • Turboentity was a good replacement using SQLA, but the project was dropped and merged with ActiveMapper, they’re all working on a new ORM layer for SQLA but right now, there’s not even an unstable one… ITOH, SO is the TG 1.0 official db layer, so it’s better supported.
  • I host my turbogears projects on rimuhosting, on a Virtual Machine. The thing is, memory is a little tight and running apache/php/mysql for wordpress consumes most of it. My Trac/SVN system use little resources.
  • I’ll finish in some weeks a TG app that, I hope, will attract a considerable ammount of users. I’m developing using a database in SQLite, but there’s no way to use that as a production db to something that can grow fast. And then my problems start…

MySQL/SQLObject UTF support seems to be erratic, I have run into problems before with this combination and on the TG group you can see any people complaining about a lot of problems with utf-8 and how mysql is erratic about it. My other choice is to use Postgres, but I don’t think that would fit on my brain-limited hosting machine, and removing MySQL is a problem because WordPress uses it (my blog…) and has no PGsql port avaiable.

So, anyone uses MySQL + SO or UTF and got some tips on the matter? How to make it work or at least do not be so buggy? I’ll be handling data from a lot of languages and I’ll just hate to spend time and time trying to debug some query that doesn’t work because of utf errors…

Technorati Tags: , , ,

Compartilhe:
  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • LinkedIn
  • Slashdot
  • StumbleUpon
  • Technorati
  • TwitThis
  • Identi.ca
  • Twitter

Posts relacionados:

  1. Turbogears Validators, Widgets and i18n (or how I got it to work) <Originally posted on the turbogears mail list> So, for the...
  2. Kindness of Strangers Tá bom… Vocês ficaram com dó e não me falaram...
  3. Cavando! Release de protótipo E então. Nas últimas semanas estive tendo cravings de programação...
  4. Multiple AutoComplete options, ugly but works. So, I was trying to make the Turbogears AutoComplete Widget...
  5. A cerveja, os copos e o TurboGears Pois então. Não é que em alguma parte do meu...

2 Comments »

2 Comments on “Turbogears, Mysql and UTF. Advice Needed!”

  1. 1 Splee said at 13:06 on novembro 16th, 2006:

    “For design reasons, I must use SQLObject. SQLAlchemy is cool but managing all my relations ‘by hand’ is a very time consuming task and TurboGears implementation of ActiveMapper is unstable, at best.”

    I fail to see how the relations are managed “by hand”. The SA declaration is slightly more verbose, but after that it’s very similar to SO.

    Take a quick look through my SimpleBlog series[1] to see how SA can be used without ActiveMapper and still make your code more productive and flexible than SO.

    [1]: http://www.splee.co.uk/category/simpleblog/

  2. 2 Markus Bertheau said at 3:27 on novembro 20th, 2006:

    You didn’t leave any details about what problem you are having, so I’m having trouble helping you :) But I wrote up an article about MySQL and UTF-8 at http://www.bluetwanger.de/blog/2006/11/20/mysql-and-utf-8-no-more-question-marks/ , maybe it can be of help to you.


Leave a Reply